Apricot Ice Cream

Vegan,Desserts,Ice cream,Fruits,Apricots

I have written so much about the new Reliance Mart that has opened up at Pokhran II in Thane already. The latest addition is Kailash Parbat. The staff told me that this one was a branch of the Kailash Parbat at Colaba Post Office. For those of you who are not aware do visit KP and try out their chaats. I promise you will not stop with just a plate!

I had been there (Thane branch) sometime back with a few friends. Unfortunately this branch needs to really spruce up its service and food. The tikkis and bhaturas were definitely stale! I was quite disappointed, and made it clear by offering them a piece of my mind. They definitely have to do better with Prashant Corner offering close competition!

I had nothing particular to shop for, but since we were out side the mart, I could not resist taking a round inside. This time I found that the very tasty 'biryani rice' had been removed and replaced with a costlier but almost similar tasting 'premium basmati rice'. The vegetable and fruit section was a delight as always. I found fresh apricots - nice, firm, ripe and juicy, and since we have never had them before, I bought a box right away.

Summer does not leave much to imagination when you buy fruits. It is either to be eaten plain or made into an ice cream! I tried making apricot ice creams and paired them with the vegan mango bundt cakes I made earlier that day. It was lovely! The other day I had pureed some cashews to make some vegan cream and stored the excess. I used up the leftover cream in making these apricot ice creams and also mango ice cream. They taste better than the real thing - this time even Jr.H had two scoops of the vegan version.

Select apricots that are soft but slightly firm, orange and smooth. The box had only one slightly unripe apricot but the rest were really good. I am not generous with sugar usually and my ice creams are not really as sweet as shop bought ones, but I made an exception this time, to suppress the tartness and Jr.H, who doubles as my conscience and my daughter, asserted that it is only now that 'Mummy has learnt that desserts are meant to be sweet'! Despite the sugar there is a frozen mocktail like flavour:). P and I liked it very much but Jr.P did not. Jr.H claimed she did not not like but it turned out that she had the most servings;)! Frankly, I think this is a 'grown up ice cream', and a very tasty one at that!

Recipe: Apricot Ice Cream - Vegan
(A triumphant trial by Sunshinemom)

Ingredients:
Apricots - 15 (stoned and washed well)
Water - 1/4 cup (to stew the apricots)
Sugar (powdered) - 3/4 to 1 cup approx.
A pinch of salt
Smooth cashew paste - 2tbsps.
Cashews - 5-8 Nos.

Method:

Stew the apricots in the water, salt and sugar till very soft. Grind into a soft pulp.

Blend with the cashew paste.

Vegan,Desserts,Ice cream,Fruits,Apricots

Pour into a tupperware of any other food safe plastic box/ice cream tray.

Break the cashews into little bits and roast without butter or oil (optional) till slightly browned. I did this in the m/w. Sprinkle evenly over the blended ice cream mixture and stir lightly.

Keep inside the freezer, and blend it three to four times in gaps of half an hour. Freeze for at least two hours after the last blending.

Vegan,Desserts,Fruits,Ice cream

Something similar on TONGUE TICKLERS......:
Mango, Orange etc.
Vegetarian eggless mango ice cream
Strawberry bundt cake and ice cream
Rustic Coconut Cake

Labels: , , , , , , , ,