Rustic Coconut Cake - Vegan


Last Saturday I had invited my in-laws (P's brothers and sisters with their families) for dinner. It struck me only that morning that it was also my S-I-L's birthday that day! The menu consisted of lauki kofta, roti, mutter pulao, masala chana dal and veg kadai(ordered). It was quite late in the evening that I decided to make a cake also. After a lot of debate (since I too wanted some of it) I decided to try this vegan cake I had bookmarked sometime back from Madcap Cupcake's yummy blog that goes by the same name. The cake is absolutely healthy ,yummy, vegan and a keeper! I know I am going to make this quite often now:)

It is called 'Rustic Coconut Cake' (tastes heavenly and looks rustic). I have taken the recipe word for word except for using Wipro's vanaspati in place of vegan butter, and used 3/4 cup of sugar in place of 1 cup as I find sugar content high in most cakes I try! It's absolute delicious so do give it a try once at least!

Rustic Coconut Cake - I have simply copied the recipe and pasted it here!
(Source: Madcap Cupcake)

2 tbsp flax meal
1/4 cup + 2 tbsp water
2-1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1-1/2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
1 cup sugar (I used 3/4th)
2-1/2 tsp baking powder
1-1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg or cardamom (optional)
1 cup plain soy milk
1/2 cup plain soy yogurt
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup earth balance, melted (or other vegan buttery spread) - I used vanaspati
powdered sugar

I used freshly grated coconut (P did it for me!), and the bits you get in your mouth make it yummier:) I ended up with several compliments. No one realized it was vegan!

This goes to AFAM - June 2008 - The fruit of the month is Coconut, and this seemed just the thing! AFAM is an event that celebrates a particular fruit each month and was started by Maheswari of 'Beyond the Usual'. This month's event is hosted by Suganya of Tasty Palettes.

Labels: , , , ,