Big Treats from Little Ones - Macbeth and Makai Bhat

It don't matter if you're black or white



Just like the post title says we (P&I) got treats from the Juniors yesterday. It was Parents' Day for the Children of Class IV at School. I look forward to this day each year with a certain amount of trepidation as we have to meet last minute demands like - "Mummy! I forgot to tell you but I am supposed to put 'alta' on my palms" etc., as though every house should have an alta bottle at home (Oh! we have one now after that first experience. They never tell you this in the childcare manual.....psssst....in fact it is as important as your first aid kit!). My son did not let me down this time - just when I heaved a sigh of relief after tacking the golden tassles on the two ends of the dupatta(?), put away the needle kit to have my coffee in peace before I could eventually go off for work(Ufffff....so much for time management classes - did they not anticipate children in your lives!!), my son returned from school - they were disbursed early today to rest and freshen up for the evening's program. One look at the dupatta and he says - "Mama, I meant sides - 4 sides!!" But what could a harried Mom do? I pacified him telling it was quite alright, and that nobody would miss the tasssles on one dupatta with so many of them waving on the stage and left home with a burden of guilt.

Needless guilt - for when I returned home to drop him off to school and to get ready to attend the programme, I found that P had taken a half day off, bought more tassles and, he and Jr.H had stapled them on the other two sides. That was the first pleasant surprise for the day. Like I said earlier, this day is a thing we both (the children and us) look forward to - the children (onstage) with huge anticipation, their anxious excited eyes searching for their parents in the audience, and we with eager smiles, and hands ready to shoot up and wave at them when they spotted us! The sheer sparkle that shines in their eyes and the slight curve of the lips upward when they spot us is enough to light up the night sky! Such is the reward of parenting - simple and pure.

It was a great evening. All the kids performed well, were applauded heartily and I was especially proud of Jr.P's rendering of flawless Shakespearine dialogues, as he was the voice over artiste for the lead character of Macbeth in the play!! The act itself was flawless - I made it a point to congratulate the teacher, and the children! I also loved the expressions of 'Krishna' in one of the dances!

The second surprise of the day was yet to come. My daughter had not accompanied us, and I guessed she had a reason for this as it is the first time she has missed Jr.P's program. I was sure she was planning a surprise but did not expect anything like this......

The pictures are Jr.H's ideas, not mine - and I was thrilled when I saw them:)

Makai bhat

A complete meal (Makai Bhaat) made from a magazine! This is not the first time that she is cooking - she has made dal before, but I have never allowed her to cook without supervision. I have made this too, but my version is rather different from this one.

Makai Bhaat (Corn rice)
Recipe source - The recipe was featured Tarla Dalal's magazine 'Cooking and More'. It is a popular dish from the menu card of 'Swati Snacks', a small but well known eatery situated at Tardeo, Mumbai. Proprietor - Mrs.Ashaben Zaveri.

Ingredients:
(Serves 6)
4 cups cooked basmati rice (She used kolam)
3/4 cup chopped tomatoes
1 cup corn kernels
1/2 tsp turmeric powder/haldi
1+1/2 tsp chilli powder (She reduced this)
2tbsp. oil
Salt to taste

Seasoning:
The recipe did not mention but Jr.H used mustard seeds, and jeera.

Garnish
2tbsp. chopped coriander

Method:
1. Heat the oil. Splutter mustard seeds, and cumin seeds.

2. Add tomatoes and salt and saute for a few minutes.

3. Add corn kernels and 1/4 cup water. Cover and cook over a slow flame till the corn is tender and the water evaporates.

4. Add the turmeric and chilli powders and mix well.

5. Add the cooked and cooled rice and toss gently so that the masala coats the rice evenly without breaking the grains.

Serve hot garnished with coriander leaves.

The Makai Bhaat in Swati Snacks is served with hot dabka kadhi.

Verdict:
Yummy!!

The best reaction:
I was so thrilled, I called my Mother to update her, and she was shell shocked!! "You have never done such a thing at 12," was all she said! "I have made that a public declaration now," I said. My daughter beamed!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Other mixed rice dishes at Tongue Ticklers......

Avadhi Tahiri Biryani

(Jiggs Kalra's recipe from Awadh)

Bengali Khichuri

(Veggies, lentils and rice - a healthy Bengali dish)

Corn Rice / Makai Chaawal - I

(Corn crushed with rice)

Szcheuan Rice Supreme

(Rice - The Chinese way)
Vegetable Pulav

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,