Corn rice / Makai chaawal



One of those days when I am bored to cook two or three dishes, and want to just finish up, clean up and hit the bed! I look into the fridge and find that there is a whole packet of corn kernels, and two packets of baby corn (all left over from the trip to NS)! I immediately picture this clean, energetic person (Mr.Naik) who caters a limited menu for lunch at my office. Once or twice a week he serves some variety of spiced rice, and my favourite is the 'corn rice', something I have never prepared in my kitchen earlier!

Since there is so much of corn left, I say - well , why not try it at home? Indian households (more so if it is South Indian) have regular doses of spiced rice varieties in the form of pulav, biryani, tomato rice, curd rice, tamarind rice, lemon rice etc. You name it, we make it! Considering the variety it is not really difficult to understand what goes into 'corn rice'!

Here is my recipe - though I am saying it myself, believe me, this was really yummy! It is a very lightly flavoured rice, full of corn (good for corn lovers), and very easy!

Ingredients:
Rice - 2cups (Any long grained variety)
Corn kernels (Makai) - 2 cups (Pulverize coarsely)



Baby corn - about 10 (Quartered)
Green chillies - 2 (slit longitudinally)
Ginger - 1"
Onions - 1 Sliced thin (Optional)
Tejpatta / bayleaf - 1
Cardamom - 2
Cinnamon - 1 stick
Jeera - 1tsp.
corainder - chopped

Method:
Wash, drain and set aside the rice for 30 minutes.
Heat 2 tbsp. of oil in a pressure cooker. Splutter jeera. Add green chillies, ginger, cardamom, cinnamon, tejpatta and onions. Saute till the onions turn transparent.
Add the rice and saute for 2 minutes. Add 3 and 1/2 cups water.
When the water comes to a boil add the ground corn kernels, chopped coriander, and mix well.



Put the lid on and the weight. Cook for 5 minutes on high flame. Reduce and cook for 4 to 5 minutes. Put off fire.
Let the cooker cool naturally to room temperature.
Remove the whistle and fluff the rice lightly with a fork. Don't work too much else the grains get mashed.
Transfer into a broad vessel fluffing the rice. Cool a little before covering.
Serve with cucumber raita, or any spicy curry!

Labels: , , , , ,