Szechuan Rice Supreme


I made this dish from Suzy Li Ching's Vegetarian Chinese Cuisine two weeks back. The spicy paneer nuggets posted here accompanied this rice and the two did a ticklish tango on our taste buds! During my pre-blogging era too I have tried many Chinese recipes as given in this book, and found them authentic - not too spicy and not totally bland! The book introduced me to many good Chinese recipes with an Indian twist like the Chinese bhel! Will make it some other day and post it!

This one goes to DK's A.W.E.D - Chinese (the Szechuan rice will be next), and to Easycraft's Mixed Rice Varieties Festival! Before I go ahead with the recipe let me warn that mine is an actually bland version. I made the spicy paneer nuggets a little hot, and so toned down the rice!

Ingredients:
(I have not used as much as the book recommended, as that was way too oily!)
FC means 'Finely Chopped'
Oil - 2tbsp.
F.C ginger and garlic - 1tbsp. each
Dry red chillies(Broken) - 1 small piece
Rice - 2 cups (Soak for half an hour. Drain and boil till just done. Drain and set aside to cool)


F.C carrot, cabbage, capsicum, mushrooms - 1/4 cup each
Bean sprouts - 1/2 cup
Black pepper - 1/4tsp.
Salt to taste
Soya sauce - 1 level tbsp.
Spiced garlic powder - 1/2 tsp.
Vinegar - 1/2 tsp.
Tomato sauce - 1 tsp.

Method:
Steam all the vegetables and bean sprouts till just crunchy - I did it in the M/w for 2mins. Set aside.
Heat oil in a broad frying pan or wok. Add the ginger, garlic and red chilli. Stir fry for a few SECONDS.
Add the steamed vegetables and other ingredients EXCEPT rice.


Stir fry for a minute, and add the rice.
Stir fry for 2 minutes on high flame tossing lightly.
Remove and serve with any Chinese accompaniment.


I served with the Spicy Paneer Nuggets.

NOTE: You may add a pinch of ajinomoto, garlic chilli sauce instead of spiced garlic powder, and a few chopped fruits like apple or pineapple as the book says.

Labels: , , , ,