Aloo paratha / Stuffed potato flatbread



This paratha was made quite some time back but did not find its way here. Possibly it needed a call, and that was given by Srivalli of 'Cooking 4 all seasons' by announcing a 'roti mela'.



My earlier contribution to the mela is here. Do try to answer that PJ. Come up with your own puns on the subject.

BTW, did you know that parathas are also called 'tave ki pudi'? That's what my Rajasthani neighbour, M aunty calls them. My parathas are not very oily, as I prefer brushing them after they are made in the tava and just before removing them on to the serving plate or napkin, and sometimes I do not use oil at all. Either way parathas are tasty, but nothing can compete with a well roasted, crisp paratha garnished with table butter, which I must confess, I have enjoyed too many times since I started blogging, since everything I photograph with yummy props to make the food look alluring end up in my belly, as the family is done with the food by that time!

Basically all parathas follow the same recipe. Flour (Either maida/all purpose flour, whole wheat flour, or a mixture of both flours and a little bit of chickpea flour/besan) mixed with water (warm/cold), and kneaded into a pliable dough.

For the covering, I generally use whole wheat flour to which I add a little besan, and luke warm water to knead the dough. The dough I use for parathas are a little more pliable than the one I make for phulkas or puris. Puris(Hard), phulka (medium) and parathas ( very smooth and elastic).

Aloo paratha filling:

Well boiled potatoes - 4 big (Peeled and mashed)
amchoor / dry mango powder - 1/4tsp.
red chilli powder - 1/4tsp.
dhania/coriander powder - 1/8 tsp.
sambar pwd/rasam pwd/bisibelebath pwd - 1/8 tsp.
kasuri methi / dried fenugreek leaves - 1/4 tsp.
salt - to taste
coriander leaves (Chopped) - 1 tbsp.
(I add all my favourite spices - a pinch each)






Method:
Please refer to my earlier post on 'mooli ke parathe' where I have described the quite easy process in a really detailed manner complete with pics!

1. Form a cup with the dough and fill it with as much of the filling as you can manage. I use quite a lot as you can see :)



2. Gather the dough from all the sides and form a ball.



3. Roll out in such a way that the filling does not get crushed or slip out. If a little does, dust flour and continue.

4. Fry on a hot griddle on one side first till it is dotted with brown specks. The paratha will fill with air as shown.



5. Flip and fry the other side similarly.



6. The parathas could be of any thickness, max 3 to 4mm. If the covering is too thick, you may not enjoy the taste of the filling, and if it is too thin, the parathas will stick to the work surface.



6. Serve with onions, pickles or with sweetened yogurt.

Valli has asked me for a proper contribution of rotis and not just PJs. M'm - aapka hukm sar aankhon par..... here is my paratha, just for your mela.
____________________________________________________________________

Related posts: (Click on picture for recipe)
L to R -
Mooli ke parathe, Koki, Phulka


Lahsuni naan & Thalipeeth



Labels: , , , , ,