Koki



I first tasted koki - a Sindhi delicacy, when I had joined SDIPA's summer funk a few years back - 2001. There I met Viji and her husband - a fun loving Sindhi couple. During the summer funk shows which lasted three days, I had a great time - on and backstage - between the performances sharing food, having fun and meeting new people(If you are interested in dancing do join one of the short term batches - Its good exercise and great fun!!).

On the last day Viji brought a stack of kokis for all of us and when she opened them - they disappeared in a matter of minutes!! It was mouth-watering and I, naturally took the recipe and even tried it once. They didn't turn out well as I just could not bring myself to pour more than a teaspoon of oil in the dough. Over some time I forgot the kokis till I met Bina - another Sindhi friend whom I pester every now and then for kokis and she being the good person she is, relents so often - God bless her! I tried them again last month without compromising on the oil and telling myself that I would not have more than two - and they did turn out really well!! I ended up having three - one in the morning and two in the evening.

This is a long overdue post and I remembered it only when I was browsing some other pics in picasa...

If you are calorie conscious and cannot control your tongue don't bother to read further. Just keep in mind that you are denying yourself a wonderful treat! Pure guilty pleasure... sluuuuuurrrrrrrrpppppp!!!!!!

Ingredients: (Serves 10 to 15 kokis - I don't remember how many I made)

Whole wheat flour - 3 to 4 cups
Onions (Chopped really fine) - 1 big.
Dried pomegranate seeds / anardana - 2tsp.
Cumin seeds / jeera - 2tsp.
Salt - to taste
Turmeric powder (Optional) - a pinch
Chilli powder - 1/2tsp (Increase if you like it spicy or replace with chopped green chillies)
Coriander (Cleaned, washed and chopped fine) - About 15 to 20 stems
Water - for kneading
Oil for kneading - 1/4 cup

Method:
1. Roast jeera and anardana separately till they turn dark. Cool and powder. (Bina does not add these but her kokis taste great even without them!)

2. Mix the flour, coriander, jeera-anardana powder, salt, turmeric powder, chilli powder/green chillies in a large bowl.

3. Make a well in the center and pour the oil. Knead adding water as required. The dough should be smooth and firm. It will be easy to assemble and will not stick at all. The kneading should take about 5 minutes. Cover and set aside for another five minutes.

4. Heat a griddle. When heated brush with little oil. Make a paratha about 2mm thick using dry flour sparingly for easy rolling. Flip the paratha over the the griddle. Pour 1/2tsp oil around the paratha and roast well on slow fire, pressing with a pancake turner all over.

5. Flip and roast the other side also the same way.

6. Serve with tea. It does not require any accompaniments and is a yummy breakfast.

I took this on a train journey as it keeps well the next day also if stored in an airtight container. It remains tasty thanks to the oil and the anardana. My family likes it.......I hope you do too!!

P.S: 20.05.08
I am sending all the Rotis/Parathas/Flatbreads I have made so far to the 'roti mela' hosted by Srivalli of 'Cooking 4 all seasons' by announcing a 'roti mela'. Here is the neat and yummy logo created by her especially for the mela. She has got a great blog there with a large variety of items for your palate, so if you haven't (Which I doubt!), do check it now!


Labels: , , , , , ,