Eggless Mango Ice Cream with Cottage Cheese

Quick Eggless Mango Ice Cream
Eggless Mango-Cottage Cheese Ice Cream

You must be aware thanks to my complaints and trumpets, that the mercury here is rising fast this year. As a result mangoes made a quick appearance in our markets. When P bought the first batch of alphonsos I suggested leaving a few aside for trying out desserts.

"...but we still haven't had a full mango each" said Jr. P in a distressed tone, yellow juice running down his hands as he pulled at the plump yellow mango flesh. "No no, not this one. I will get you some especially for that..." said P, shielding a whole dozen of golden fruits from my glance and his arms suddenly looked mightier than ever before.

Thus dissuaded, I waited my turn which came during the past weekend. I was allowed only one big, juicy, mango to myself and the family decided they wanted a non-vegan treat.

I gave a few choices. Pavlova, custard, mousse, jelly but all the alternatives were beaten hands down by one favourite dessert - Ice cream!

The usual eggless ice cream calls for some long time work in the kitchen. Since I had some fresh cottage cheese in my refrigerator from the previous day's dish I decided to try a shorter route to ice-cream dream. This link tells you how I make cottage cheese at home. For today's ice cream recipe the best suited milk is buffalo milk as it is creamier than others but if you want a light version, toned milk will do quite well too. My family thought this ice cream was much tastier than the normal version made by evaporating and reducing milk.

Tell me what you think!

Eggless Mango Cottage Cheese Ice Cream
Jr.H immerses herself in another realm!

Since this is my first time making this kind of ice cream and as it is a trial with a new recipe, you are most welcome to make your own alterations to it! I bet I will make a different one next time - at least one with minor changes!

Dish: Mango Ice Cream with Soft Cottage Cheese
Yield: Serves 5-6 scoops

Ingredients:
Alphonso or any other mango without fiber - 1 big, juicy ripe mango
Fresh Cottage Cheese - Approx. 175g.
Thick cream - 1 cup
Ground vanilla sugar - Approx. 1/4 cup, depends on the sweetness of the mangoes used.

Method:
Scoop out the mango and drop in the blender with the cottage cheese, cut into chunks. Blend well. You will have to do it in short spurts, scraping down the sides and the lid a few times. Blend till thoroughly creamy and no lumps remain.

Pour the thick cream into a wide bowl. (The kids got a kick out of cleaning out the mixie jar, licking it clean!).

Whip cream and ground sugar till the beater leaves a trail and gently fold into the mango-mixture.

Pour in a tub or air tight container such as tupperware and freeze for three hours. Remove and blend with an immersion blender. If not try whisking with a beater till well blended.

Refreeze overnight and serve the next day. This is what the family had for Sunday along with breakfast.

Since it is cottage cheese that holds the ice cream together, this does not melt soon. My children decided it was much, much creamier and tastier than conventional ice cream. My desserts are always just sweet. I just cannot add much sugar!! Go ahead and indulge with Jr.P!

Quick Eggless Mango Ice Cream
Jr.P looks waiting for me to click soon so he can have his bite!

Though I did not have scoopful like the others, I did sample a bite and decided it was better than conventional ice cream without all the sweat involved!

Tried, tasted and given the thumbs up by;
Pavithra of Dishes from my kitchen

Labels: , , , , , , ,