Ullakazhangu Podimas ~ Potatoes rolled in coconut

Ullakazhangu podimas small
Urulaikazhangu Podimas - Potatoes rolled in coconut

I know this must be the umpteenth recipe featuring coconut or potato as the prime ingredient on this blog. I cannot shed off my Tambrahm influence even if I wanted to. Marriage to a Manglorean did not help much in weaning myself away from fresh coconut, in fact I think it has increased my love for these nuts all the more after discovering several more ways to use it in cooking. It is now a common feature that most people start avoiding coconuts after turning 40. There is some misconception that coconuts 'increase cholesterol'. Having witnessed several relatives from Mangalore and Kerala (both regional cuisines heavily use coconut oil and coconut meat) leading healthy and active lives well past 90 tells me there is something wrong with that assumption. I use plenty of fresh coconut as garnish and believe that it has several health benefits. (Here is a link for skeptics).

Most of you, if you have been to a Tamilian household must have savoured this everyday dish. It is an easy recipe and if you have just begun cooking Indian food this one should appeal as it is tasty and does not call for any 'not-easily-available' Indian spices either.

These are my first pictures with my new 'nifty-fifty' and it is keeping me click-happy these days!

Dish: Ullakazhangu podimas (Potatoes rolled in coconut)
Yield: Serves 3 good eaters
Category: Quick Vegan Indian side dishes

Ingredients:
5 medium sized potatoes (Use any variety that is good for baking)
1/3 cup - Fresh grated coconut
1 sprig - Curry leaves
1/2 tsp. - Whole black Mustard seeds
1/2 tsp. - Split Bengal gram or Split black gram
1 green chilli (more if you like spicy food)
Salt to taste
1 tbsp. coconut oil (No other oil please!)

Urulaikazhangu Podimas

Method:
Pressure cook washed, cleaned and halved potatoes upto three whistles. Let pressure go down naturally. Peel. You may either use a sharp ladle and cut up the potatoes roughly into bite sized pieces or chop uniformly. I use a slotted ladle that I will later use to roast the potatoes for some rough chunky chopping.
Heat oil in a wide wok. When hot, season with mustard seeds, add grams and curry leaves.
Let the dals turn pink (about 1/2 a minute) and add the potatoes. Mix well and let the potatoes roast well in slow fire.
I like to let some potatoes go slightly brown and stick to the wok. Will tell you later why!
Mince the green chilly with some coconut in a mortar. Add this and the rest of the coconut to the potatoes.
Stir so that the potatoes are evenly coated with the coconut.
Empty into a serving bowl. Serve with rice and rasam/sambar/kadhi or just with curd rice. (Please click on highlighted words for the recipes)

Scrape the potatoes stuck to the wok and eat. It tastes wonderful!

Another way to have them - Ullukazhangu Roast.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,