Ullukazhaiga Roast / Potato Roast


This curry is so ridiculously simple and tasty - I am sure if we took a poll most people (At least Indians!) will vote that this was their first actual cooking - Potatoes not necessarily the same way but more nor less closer! Why not check? Tell me which was your first sabzi - not rice, not roti, not pasta, not cookies - the first curry you made!

I made this first when I was 15yrs. and Mom had to leave us for a few days to go to Bangalore. This called for least effort - It is simple and tasty and I make it even now at least once a fortnight and sometimes once a week also....and even then no one gets tires of it! (For breakfast and tiffin I kept alternating between rava upma and semiya upma for the next four days until Dad got tired, and when Mom returned he pleaded that she was not to make upma for at least a month!)

Here's my simple ullukazhainga curry (In South curry refers to dry roasts and not red spicy gravies as generally made out). Forget the measurements and just let your sense of taste lead you - there is no better way to cook!

Ingredients:
Potatoes - 4 big ones
Onion - 2 medium - the more the merrier
Sambar powder - 1/2 tsp.
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp.
Salt - To taste
Red Chilli Powder - 3/4 to 1 tsp. - I like this one a little spicy:)

Seasoning -
Oil - 1 to 2 tbsp. - Depends on the mood - whether health conscious or not at that moment:)
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Chana dal - 1 tsp
Curry leaves - 5 to 6
Dhania leaves - garnishing

Method
Boil, cool, skin and break the potatoes roughly with a spoon or chop into big chunks, and set aside. Chop onions fine, and set aside.
Heat Oil in a wok. Add mustard seeds & chana dal. Wait till the mustard splutters and dal turns pink. Add and let curry leaves crackle. Add onions and roast till nice and brown. Add the potatoes, turmeric, sambar powder, salt and red chilli powder. Toss till the potatoes get coated nicely and keep for some time on low flame till gets a light roasted layer stuck to the wok. Put off fire. Remove from container immediately. I let it roast for sometime only because I like the layer that sticks very much - if you do not like the idea remove when the potatoes get coated nicely.


It is a classic accompaniment to Chinna Vengaya Sambar or Sambar made with small onions. There is very little chance of any left overs from this but it could always turn into paratha filling or even tasty bondas...don't forget to let me know what was your first sabzi:)

___________________________________________________________________

Sailaja of Sailaja's recipes passed me on these two awards along with yummy masal vadais! It's raining hippos and rhinos outside (On a serious note I would not like that at all - They are nice mild creatures and I don't want them to pelt down!) . Huge huge drops pouring as though the sky has opened up all its showers and no - they do not qualify to be called cats and dogs!(?), and I would like a plate of those impressive vadas any time! Must get down to making it - Jr. H tells me I have become too health conscious! The truth is - if I make them I cannot resist them nor can I stop with one or two:)

I would like to hug:
Jayasree of "Expriments in Kailas Kitchen"
Asha of the Two Hopes - "Aroma" and "Foodies"
Simran of Bombay Foodie and
return one big hug to Sailaja of Sailaja's recipes:)


While I am thrilled with these, I hope I keep up to the title - "Blogging with a purpose " - My purpose is simply to share my recipes and put a smile on your lips if I can! I came across some exceptional blogs that do more than just that and what better way to let them know than this!

Jai and Bee of Jugalbandi
Sailaja of Sailu's food

Labels: , , ,