Semiya Upma ~ Vermicelli Pasta

IMG_7447
Semiya Upma ~ Vermicelli Pasta

Looking into the recent archives, one might think I am dieting on soups, which however, is not the case. I diet on sumptuous food but I love the sight of hot steaming soups on cold, rainy evenings. That clarifies everything. I have been on a 'gluten-free' baking spree too and hope to share some tasty recipes soon. Last week started on a miserable note with the husband bringing home the flu and this week, I am carrying it forward. I have been skipping work on both the home and office fronts and P has been ruling the roost. Sometimes, like now, the kitchen takes on some undecipherable foreign aromas and I have learnt better than to go and check out what's burning, for fear of developing heart attacks at the sight of the strewn kitchen. Right now there is a clang and sound of something going into the dustbin!!

This evening I was in serious need of something piping hot, solid food as I have got tired of broths and soups during these past few days. I did not want to spend much time in the kitchen so I made a quick semiya upma.

Semiya upma is a favourite with my daughter and son. It was the first pasta I came across before I read Garfield and realised that I had quite an appetite for the other types too. I am sure many of us know this from childhood but when I made it after my marriage at P's house, it was the first time for my In-Laws. I hope you will like it as much as I do. It is good for rainy days and Mondays:). (My favourite Carpenters' number)

Here is how I make it.

Dish : Semiya Upma ~ Vermicelli Pasta in an Indian Kitchen
Yield: Serves 4


IMG_7449
Semiya Upma ~ Vermicelli Pasta

Ingredients:
2.5 cups - Vermicelli pasta (I used Bambino)
3.25 cups - Water
2 medium sized Onions (Chopped fine)
2 small Tomatoes (Chopped rough)
1 medium sized Potato (Diced small)

Seasoning:
Oil - 2 tbsp.
Mustard Seeds (Rai) - 1 tsp.
Bengal gram dal (Chana dal) - 1 tsp.
Cashew nuts (Kaju) - Chopped - 10 nos.
1 Green chilli - chopped fine
1" Ginger - chopped fine
A spring of curry leaves - Torn

Garnish:
1/4 cup of coriander leaves - chopped rough

Method:
Roast the pasta in a wok in low heat till brown or use an oven which ensures even browning. I place the pasta on a baking tray and roast in a pre-heated oven at 140 deg. Cel. for 7-10 minutes, stirring twice in between to ensure even browning.

Heat oil in a wok. Season with mustard seeds followed by bengalgram, cashews, chilli, ginger and curry leaves.

IMG_7464
Semiya Upma ~ Vermicelli Pasta

When the cashews turn lightly golden, add onions and saute till pink. Add potatoes and tomatoes. Sprinkle some salt, stir and cover till the potatoes cut through.

Add water and cover till it comes to a boil. Add salt to taste (about 1 tsp. is enough and remember that you sprinkled some before!). Let simmer to 5 minutes and add the roasted pasta.

Cover and cook till water is absorbed and the pasta is cooked.

Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.

You can increase the water and have as a stew too. In which case you may reduce the amount of pasta.

Substitute with whole wheat vermicelli if you want a healthier variety. You might want some green mint chutney or coconut chutney if you are used to an accompaniment with your pasta but this should be good on its own too.

IMG_7481
A forkful of pasta

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,