Instant Sevai or Dhidheer Sevai

Instant rice sevai
Rice Noodles/Instant Sevai

It was my son's birthday yesterday. For him it is the most awaited event of the year and his preparations had begun last year itself.

About a month back he gave us all a subtle reminder saying, "there's something coming up soon." Unfortunately it did not strike us then and I wondered why my cousin's upcoming wedding should excite him so much (as all of us are looking forward to it). It was only later when he started telling me the goodies he would like to have that I realised that it was the dear chap's birthday that was 'the' occasion.

Yesterday morning I asked him what he would like for dinner as we did not plan a party (thanks to exams and it being a weekday). To my surprise he said, 'rasam and chana dal chundal'. I love his simplicity! He did not think of anything exotic because what is simple and plain is to him exotic:). My daughter heard this and immediately butted - "Mummy, I know what you mean! Why don't you get those lovely pastries from Gaylord's?" This suggestion suited the son too. So it was rasam and chundal for lunch and I returned a little early with a lemon twist (cake), a piece of apple pie, chocolate blueberry and a zebra torte. They were made with eggs so I did not have them but the two pairs of drunkenly dancing eyes told me a lot about the taste! I am planning a vegan version of the lemon twist soon. If you have ideas do share in the comment section - I go through all of them most sincerely!

Meanwhile I will leave you today with a very simple breakfast that I make when I am strapped for time. I am sure many of you, especially those from South India have had the fresh rice pasta called 'sevai' made from scratch at home. I still have to buy a 'sevai press' or 'nazhi' before I venture to make that version. Today's version is what I call the modern multitasker's option - Dhideer sevai or instant rice noodles. I used 'MTR' brand and found it good. If you can you must try and prepare from scratch as this may serve well for a fast snack but the homemade version wins hands down!

Dish: Instant rice noodles / Dhideer Sevai
Time: 5 minutes
Serves: 3

Ingredients:
MTR rice noodles - 1 small packet (cook as per instructions on packet)
Method: Boil three times the amount of water as the noodles with salt to taste and a tsp. of coconut oil. Add the rice noodles when the water boils. Cook further till the noodles turns soft - about 4-5 minutes. Immediately drain in a colander and set aside to cool.

Coconut - 1/2 cup
Cashew bits/peanuts - 2 tbsp.
Curry leaves - 1 spring
Green chillies - 1, chopped.
Ginger - 1", chopped
Bengal gram dal - 1 tsp.
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp.
Coconut oil - 2tbsp. (Sunflower oil may be substituted)

Method:
Heat oil in a wide wok. Splutter mustard seeds and add the green chillies, bengal gram, ginger and curry leaves. Stir till cashew turns golden.
Remove from fire and add the drained and cool rice noodles as well as grated coconut.
Mix well till the flavours blend. Adjust salt.
Squeeze a dash of lime and stir if you like the citrus tang.
Serve with coconut chutney on the side.

I had the most unusual experience while traveling recently in the local train. I will tell you about that next time. For now my eyelids are drooping and I will fall off if I don't go!

Labels: , , ,