Avarakkai poduthuval (South Indian broad beans curry)

This is crazy! I know that an hour from now I should be rushing to office and yet I cannot stop myself from sharing this recipe, not that it is exotic!

Yesterday I was taking photographs of the broad beans curry I had prepared when little 'A' walked in:

"Yeh kya kar rahe ho aap?", says A. [What are you doing?]

"Photo nikaal rahi hoon, beta." [Taking snaps, baby]. She knows very well that I am taking snaps and that they will show up on the computer, but she is a naughty, cheeky and cherubic four year old who gets her way in subtle ways. Right then I knew she wanted to be involved some way in the snaps. I have way too many pictures of her in a separate folder. You too will go camera happy if you see her - she is such a perfect little model!

"Mein kuch karoon?" [May I help?], she asks, tilting her pretty little face slightly to the left and flashing me a smile that will melt even Mrs.Trunchbull! I took a few pictures of her but she still looked at the dish, smiled at me and I relented!

"Sirf aapke haath nikaaloongi. Is subzi ko haath me pakad ke rakhogi? Bilkul hilna math!", I gave in on impulse. [I will only take shots of your hand. Will you hold the dish? Don't move at all!]

She gave in her all, bending and perfectly cupping the dish in her chubby hennaed palms. I wish you could see her concentration. She stood still, biting on her tongue for added concentration. This was the result and I couldn't wait to show it to the world. She added so much life to the otherwise mundane Tambrahm dish!

Broad beans in Aarya's hands

The recipe is pretty simple!

Ingredients:
Broad beans (Avarakkai) - String, clean, chop fine - 1/2 kg
Salt to taste
Turmeric - 1/4 tsp.

Seasoning:
Coconut oil - 1tsp.
Mustard seeds - 1tsp.
Bengal gram dal/ Black gram dal - 1tsp.

Garnishing:
Fresh shredded coconut - 3 tbsp.

Method:
Steam the chopped beans till just done mixing salt and turmeric. I let it retain a crunch.

Heat oil in a deep wok/kadhai. Splutter mustard seeds and add the lentils. When they turn pink add the drained beans.

Stir fry on medium heat till the curry becomes absolutely dry.

Mince a tablespoon of coconut with green chillies crushing roughly in a mortar.

Garnish the curry with the above mince and the rest of the coconut.

Serve hot with rice, rasam or sambar.

When I wrapped up the click I told 'A', "Ab mein ise net pe chadaooingi aur aapke baare mein likhoongi." [Now I will upload this and write about you]

"Kya likhoge?" [What will you write]

"Yehi ki 'A' aayi thi....", [Just that 'A' was here....]

"A? mera naam Aarya hai, A-A-R-Y-A. Aapko spelling nahi patha tha?" she interrupted.
[A? My name is Aarya, A-A-R-Y-A. You did not know the spelling?]

I do, Aarya. I do!! Now you all do too just as she wanted you to!

Have a great day and wish me luck - I am late!!

Avarakkai poduthuval

Labels: , ,