Florentines

A few weeks back it was my son's turn [My daughter is the one who chooses all the deep fried snacks I post:)] to choose desserts/cookies/breads, and when he chose 'Florentines' from my little book of 'Cakes' I was doubly happy - It was a perfect fit for Meeta's theme for August's Monthly Mingle. I wasn't able to post them on time (look up the round up here for some great ideas with fruits and chocolate) but, I thought - Well, better late than never! See? They were too good to be allowed to languish in drafts too long!

Most of the pictures are taken by my daughter - it's a wonder I even manage to click anything with the two fighting over who should style the food, which napkin looks better etc. Daughter dear has seen some beautiful photographs of cookies tied and bowed and wanted to try them here. She loves them so much that she tells me I spoil my photographs with writings on it, and borders. Many a time I succumb to her persuasions, as she does seem to have a good eye!! I preferred having the ribbon around rather than tied into a bow, she wanted a bow, and my son just wanted the florentines soon!! Here's what came out:


My vegan version [Not that I got to eat many - I had only one:)] did not contain the chocolate on top but the cookie crust was too good. Perfectly snappy! I did not have to resort to many changes in the original recipe as they did not contain eggs anyway. It is such a boon to have ready recipes rather than scratch your head thinking about replacements!

This is one of the yummiest cookies I have made. My daughter has already volunteered to make it the next time, and my son offered to help her with the chocolate frosting - He gets to lick it too!!

This recipe yields about 10 - 12 Nos.

Ingredients:
10tsp - butter (I used Nutralite)
1/4 cup - caster sugar (I used Cane Sugar)
1/4 cup APF, sieved (I needed a ladle or so more)
1/3 cup almonds, chopped
1/3 cup chopped mixed peel (I used only 1tbsp. as I felt 1/3rd was too much)
1/4 cup raisins, chopped
2 tbsp candied cherries or tuti fruity
finely grated rind of 1/2 lemon
125 g cooking chocolate (Plain/dark), melted

Method:
1. Line 2 large baking trays or cookie sheets with baking parchment.

2. Heat the butter and sugar in a small saucepan until the butter just melts and sugar dissolves. Remove the pan from heat.

3. Stir in the flour and mix ell. Stir in the chopped almonds, mixed peel, raisins, cherries and lemon rind. Place teaspoonfuls of the mixture well apart on the tray. I pressed them lightly into 2 inch circles.

4. Bake in a pre heated oven at 180 deg. C./350 deg. F./Gas Mark 4, for nearly 20 minutes or till lightly golden on top.

5. Leave to cool until firm, and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

6. Spread the melted chocolate over the smooth side of each florentine. As the chocolate just begins to set mark way lines with a toothpick or fork. Leave until the chocolate is set.


ON A DIFFERENT NOTE
PLEASE LOOK UP THIS POST
We can contribute in small ways - non-perishable eatables (chikki, kurmura, poha, biscuits,...), medicines, Water purifying tablets, torches, plastic sheets, candles, matchboxes, lanterns, clothes, bedsheets, utensils, footwear, mosquito nets, ...

But these have to be in good condition. Check goonj.org for more details.
___________________________________________________________________

A little more on chocolates or cookies from me:






Almond Cookies

















Rich Moist Almost Vegan Chocolate Cake

Labels: , , , , , ,