Chickpea Pasta Soup

There are some recipes you see, read and want to try - but shift the 'try' to 'later'. There are some that make you want to taste just then and nothing else will do! This is one such recipe:) I saw it in my discovery of the day - Isha Chandra Moskowitz's (Click to find out who she is) blog - aptly titled 'Post Punk Kitchen' (You will know the aptness if you clicked the link above)! Also see this new url.

It was the picture, and then the flavors that promised to linger, that stole my heart and I knew I had to try this immediately!! Can you believe I saw it just last evening and bookmarked it for this weekend!! And I actually made it this evening! This surprised me too - never been this prompt:).

I am glad I did make it, as it is a treasure find. I am recording this for flooring my guests, and extracting some oohs and aahs...! I followed the recipe very closely except for the 'celery seeds' and the 'miso' because I have never used these or heard of them in India, and naturally - I did not have them in my kitchen! I found that I had run out of noodles, so I used cooked spaghetti, and small curve shaped pasta (Explains the change in name) - elbow macaroni.

Even without the two, and with the above replacement - the soup was great. It looks appetizing, and you will find lovely flavors bursting the moment you take your first sip - and then you don't stop:) Have a look:

chickpea noodle soup


The original recipe is here, and here is mine with hardly any changes - as this one just PUNK ROCKS YOUR KITCHEN:)

Ingredients:

1 tbsp. - Olive oil (I used sunflower as olive oil is over, and I still haven't replaced it!)
1 small onion - sliced thin
1 small carrot - sliced into wafer thin roundels
Baby corn - 2 quartered longitudinally and then halved
Shelled peas - a fistful
1 clove garlic - crushed
5 small button mushrooms - sliced wafer thin
Dried rosemary - 1/2tsp. crushed
Basil - about 5 leaves, torn
Ground black pepper - 1 tsp.
Spaghetti - 5 nos. halved
Elbow Macaroni - a fistful
Water - 3 cups
Cooked Chickpea - 1 cup

Method:

1. Cook the pastas - set aside.

2. Heat oil and saute onions and carrots for about 5 minutes.

3. Add garlic, mushrooms, baby corn, peas and the herbs. Saute further till everything is cooked.

5. Deglaze with a splash of water. Add 3 cups of water and chickpea. Cover and boil for 2 minutes.

6. Add pastas, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and serve piping hot with any bread.

Great to taste, good to eat and a lovely sight it is, to see your daughter lapping it up in a trice and going for a second helping!! We had this for dinner as it was a complete meal by itself - it has just the right amount of veggies, legumes and carbohydrates too!

Chickpea noodle soup 2

Verdict:
One of the best vegan soups ever!! Tomato soup has become passe:) Thank you, Isha!

USP:
Apart from the taste, this did not take me more than 20minutes from the chopping board to the bowl:)

Acknowledgement:
Sia of Monsoon Spice helped me with 'uploading bigger pictures in blogger'! Thank you, Sia:)

Events:
1. Goes to the Third Helping of 'My Legume Love Affair'. Susan's affair taken over by Lucy of Nourish me this month;) - Last date - 28/9

2. Also goes to Easy's WYF - Soups, salads and starters. Last date - 30/9



Labels: , , , , , ,