Aloo Bhindi


I generally require 3/4kg of bhindi for four of us. This time I used up some for sambar, and what was left would not have been enough. This led me to make my SIL's favourite dish - Aloo Bhindi. She is one of those lucky ladies who can eat all they like and nothing shows up on the frame. The aloo bhindi is one such item - if made too often is definitely going to add some oodles which is why I have never made it till today! It tastes great as fried stuff often do:)

Here's the recipe - Do try it once! This combo of potato and ladyfinger is something I never came across until I came to Mumbai, and believe me - they make a lovely couple!

Ingredients:
Ladyfingers - 1/2kg (Washed, patted dry and cut into 1" long pieces)
Potatoes - 2 medium (Peeled and cut into long wedges)
Onions - 1 big (Chopped fine)
Tomatoes - 2 medium (Chopped fine)
Turmeric powder - 1/2tsp.
Red Chilli Powder / flakes - 1/2 tsp.
Dry Mango Powder - A pinch
Coriander powder - 1/4 tsp. (Optional)
Oil - To deep fry

Tempering:
Jeera - 1 tsp.

Garnishing:
2 tbsp. of Coriander leaves chopped rough

Method:
1. Deep fry the dried bhindi till done and potatoes till browned and set aside.

2. Heat a little oil. Temper with jeera.

3. Add onions and saute to transparent. Add tomatoes and a little salt and fry till juices ooze.

4. Add the veggies and saute well adding the powders and adjusting the salt.


Garnish and serve with rotis or rice and dal.

Labels: , , , , , ,