Julia Child's French Bread


Cut up for the toast in the next post


The boule

Was googling for eggless bread recipes the other day, and stumbled upon this really challenging French Bread at Pixie's blog here. Her pictures looked so pretty, I just had to have that bread and since there was no other way to have it, I ended up making it myself. I also felt happy that I was attempting a DB recipe as I am now a proud albeit so-so member of the group. I found the recipe here as directed by Pixie - Breadchick has given a beatiful step by step pictorial on the making, and you should see Helen's bread here with an innovative chocolatey twist - she makes all things look bright and beautiful:)

I made the mistake of starting the bread making process at 6:30p.m. I lost my Saturday night sleep, as the bread was still getting done at 1:30a.m. I managed to finish 'Absolute power' by David Baldacci which thankfully was gripping enough to keep me awake. I also made it to the next morning's cycling trip at 6:30a.m. though I slept at 2.00a.m. Only thing is I came back after 20km instead of completing the trip.


The first raise


The second raise


Third and final raise


Forming the baguette


The rockhard baguette

The bread itself looked nice - with neat holes and proper crumbs. My only complaint is that the salt is way too much - double the required amount - and that the crust was harder than any bread I have made!

Part of the baguette was a disaster. I got involved in the novel, did not realize that I had timed the oven for only 10 minutes when I put the bread in. The alarm must have gone off after some time but I was oblivious to that, and when I did remember after sometime, the bread was half baked. I again set the oven and baked it, but the baguette turned hard. So hard I could have actually hit a burglar with it! My husband doggedly ate it by dipping it in hot tea. I had a bite, and was afraid that my teeth may fall off so we had to throw the long one in the bin.

The other half - the boule - was good, but like I said earlier, the crust was harder than any other breads I have had!

I used them for making cheese chilly toast that evening. The recipe follows in the next post!

Labels: , , , , ,