Gutte ki subzi


This post lay in my draft section autosaved during one of the sudden power cuts. I had been writing this a day after the first showers (a day or two before we lost the net)- the weatherman called them unseasonal rains caused due to depression! The mood while most of the writing was done was one of fresh relief, and I did not want that tempo to change, so here it is a few days later but in the same tone:

The frequent and sudden power cuts had become irritating, not to mention the water shortage! But the sweet showers yesterday as I was walking back home from office set everything right! I enjoyed feeling the raindrops as it caught me unawares without an umbrella. Got thoroughly drenched, and loved the 'raindrops (keep) falling on my head' (beautiful nostalgic number by BJThomas). Also smiled to myself singing 'rim jhim gire saawan' (luvd A.B and Moushmi), and was carried to the times when my sisters and I used to play 'rain songs' antakshri sitting on the huge jhoola(Swing) in our courtyard in Secunderabad (Sighhhh....), and the hostel times when I forced two really quiet friend of mine to get drenched with me and how we hogged ice creams standing in the rain....

I forced myself to come back to the present. I got through the society gate, to see my son splashing and dancing in his typical 'baaraati' style in the rain, my daughter playing hide n seek with her friends in the rain. Sayyeed Jaffrey was so right in 'Masoom' when he mused that children (he says son but to me it is children) bring out the child in adults - it is like reliving your childhood all over again - Thank God, and Nature for that! The power cuts did not matter anymore - we played 'build a story', and had a candle light dinner and everything was right:). The jolly mood stayed the next morning and led to the making of the gatte ki subzi!

Source and acknowledgment for today's yummy yums:)
I owe this one to B and M. B is a very good Sindhi friend and colleague who churns out the most amazing dishes. In the inception of our 'lunch group' friendship I remember that B used to make her dishes quite oily like most of my Sindhi or North Indian friends. A slight turn of events prompted her to cook less oily and healthier dishes, never losing that magic touch!

B and I used to be the only ones who cooked 'gutte ka subzi'. Mine was kadhi like (curd based), like my Rajasthani neighbour, M Aunty's. M Aunty and her Daughter-in-Law K are both wonderful cooks and generously call me to taste (in generous amounts) most of their luscious creations. Many a time I have not been able to sustain the enticing aroma emanating from their kitchen and wafting to my flat, and have knocked before they could offer! The gutta version they showed was the only one I had ever heard of, till one day B came up with this yummy green stuff in her dabba!

I asked her the secret and tried it once at home. I added the mint by mistake but the twist lifted the gatte to a different dimension altogether. It has been well accepted and I am told its great. Now P insists on having it cooked only in green gravy. B's gutte recipe is very simple and doesn't take much time either. This is one of my 'emergency dinner/lunch' recipe, and believe me - this is one keeper of a recipe that will be made again and again. It is definitely going to bring you some good compliments. Thank you B!

Recipe for gutte:
(Please adjust the seasonings and flavour to suit your taste - mine is moderately spicy and not hot!)
Besan or Chick pea flour (Preferably roasted slightly) - 1 cup
Salt to taste
Kasuri methi (Dried fenugreek leaves) - 1/2 tsp.
Oil - 1/4 + 1/4 tsp.
Red chilli powder - as per taste - I used a little less than 1/4tsp.
Haldi / Turmeric pdr. - 1/4tsp.
Warm water OR thin buttermilk - - 1/4 cup
Water - 1/2litre

Method:
1. Mix all the dry ingredients and 1/4tsp. oil in a bowl.


2. Add the water or buttermilk little at a time to make a stiff dough. The dough should bind well and should not be sticky. The quantity given is the maximum amount you will require.

3. If the dough turns a little sticky (will happen if the besan is not roasted), brush the oil on the dough to bring it together. The dough should be as stiff as those for puri or akki roti.


4. Keep aside for 10 minutes. Take out bite sized chunks of the dough and form roll them out as shown below. The thickness of the roll is about a cm. Keep aside after forming similar rolls with the entire dough.

5. Heat 1/2litre water and let it come to a boil. Add the rolls at this time and


cook till they start floating on top. Drain immediately


and cut them in 1cm long pieces when they are cool enough to handle.


MAKE A STIFF DOUGH WITH JUST ENOUGH WATER TO BIND

These freeze well. I have kept them as long as 2 months. I generally make double the quantity I require and freeze half for a second use.

Ingredients for the green gravy:
Coriander leaves - 3 cups
Mint - 4 to 5 leaves
Ginger grated - 1/4tsp.
Green chilli - 1/2 or more if you like it spicy
Roasted dhana-jeera (Coriander-cumin) pdr - 1/2 tsp.
Amchoor - A pinch
Salt - to taste
Oil - 1/2 tsp./none at all
Water - 1 to 2 cups

Method for the gravy:
Chop the leaves roughly and grind along with ginger, mint, amchoor, salt and green chilli adding water as required till it comes to a smooth chutney consistency.

Heat the oil if you are using it and splutter 1/2tsp. jeera. I sometimes just heat the gravy without the oil, and it works well enough, but adding oil brings out the flavour of the jeera.

Add the ground mixture and cook till the aromas exude. Add water to get a thin soupy consistency. Just before removing from fire add the roasted dhana-jeera powder, and mix well. Taste and increase spices to suit your palate (I love things mild).



Now add the cut guttes and cook for another 2 minutes.



Serving: Serve with rotis, rajgira rotis or hot rice.

Notes from experience:
The gattes tend to absorb the gravy which is why it should be a thin otherwise you will be left with a thick mass of gatte and no gravy, and that not only looks horrible but also tastes dry!

If your gattes are not stiff they will absorb more gravy.

The gravy should remain bright green. Do not over cook till the colour changes as the fresh flavour gets lost! The gravy making should not take more than 5minutes.

This subzi tastes better after the gravy is absorbed a little so it should be made an hour ahead of serving time and warmed at the time of serving.

Gattes being protein punches are ideal for a healthy lunch, and this one goes straight to Sangeeth for her this month's 'eat healthy - protein rich' event!

Labels: , , ,