Aloo chaat

Just made it in time for MBP this time! Thanks to the extended deadline:) I seem to be missing most of the events and not meeting up deadlines:(

MBP is a unique monthly event started by Coffee of 'Spice Cafe' and is a fine way to appreciate fellow bloggers efforts! This month's edition is being hosted by Sia of 'Passionate about life 'n spice'. The theme is 'Street Food' - A theme that conjures up the vision of crowded thela waalas or food malls and aromas of yummy dishes wafting from all four directions - heady, isn't it? The logo tells it all:
Just delving a little further to appreciate the famous street spots I have seen, heard and eaten at:
1. Pani Puris at Elco Arcade, Linking Road, Mumbai
2. Mix fruit and Pav Bhaji at Khao gali, Marine Lines, Mumbai
3. The thela pizza and sandwich waala at RMR, Thane
4. The Parathewaali gali in Chandni Chowk, Delhi
5. That wonderful place of yummiest chaats and jalebis with malai at Jaipur - Cannot recall the name!
6. All the chaats at Prashant Corner, Thane and Kailash Parbat, Colaba.

Do let me know the locations of your favourite street side spots, so that I can visit those places if I am in the neighbourhood:) I love doing that!

My favourite street side khanas are 'Chhole bhature', 'Aloo Tikki Chaat', all those puris - sev puri, pani puri/golgappas/puchkas, dahi batata puri and aloo chaat!

Today's is a quickie chaat I picked from Vegetarian Food Fiesta - a blog by JRL. The blog has some really yummy recipes, and I do not know why it seems so untouched! Did not want to repeat pani puris and the rest seemed to be taken! The round up is going to be a huge one:) All the more better as it means more variety:)

I have tinkered a bit with the recipe as I did not want to deep fry the potatoes and topped most portions with only sev. The onions, mint and tamarind chutney went into my plate, and the kids took the shev topped ones:)

Ingredients:
(Source - here)
Aloo (potatoes), peeled- 3
Red chilli powder-1/2 tsp
Roasted cumin powder- 1 tsp
Chaat masala- 1 tsp
Tamarind Chutney (Only for me)
Mint Chutney (Only for me)
Chopped Coriander Leaves
Optional garnish - chopped onion (Only for me)
Oil - 1/2 tsp.
Thin sev - 2 tbsp.
Ginger and chilli minced - 1/2 tsp with 1/2 chilli (Make it spicier if you like it hot)

Method
Dice aloo (potatoes) into cubes.
Micro high for 2 minutes and stand for 2 minutes. Remove.
Heat a non stick pan, and brush with oil. Add the potatoes and brown them on slow fire.
In a bowl, place the potatoes and toss with red chilli powder, cumin powder, chaat masala.
Serve, garnished with thin sev and coriander leaves like this

OR like the picture on top - mixed with finely chopped onions, mint and tamarind chutney! Either way it tastes great. You may deep fry the diced potatoes and drain them before going on with the rest, but I am afraid it shows up quite quick on my frame;) so I just can't afford to do that, especially having indulged myself with deep fried potatoes and bhindi for today's lunch menu!

This works well as an appetizer too, and goes well with tea! I made it for the short break dabba for Jr. H and P, and they love it:)

Labels: , , , ,