Felafel turns into a dosa for the 'Dosa Mela'


I browsed the other day for felafel and hummus recipes - I thought I was going to make something Lebanese the next day. It was already late into the night and here is where I found the felafel recipe.

Since it called for chickpeas, I soaked 1/2 a cup (I did not want to try a large quantity the first time)

The next day, I got up and put away the drained chickpeas into the fridge, no longer in the mood. Two days later, it was still there waiting for its turn but now though I was in mood to make felafels I did not have time to try out a new recipe as week days come with deadlines. So this dosa came as a surprise to all of us, thankfully a pleasant one. I remembered a few of the ingredients so I just ground the chickpeas , chopped onions, salt and a tsp. of heated oil.
After grinding it resembled adai batter so much that I thought it would be an easier option to make a dosa and that's how my felafel turned into a felafel dosa. I added a few other things and here is how I made the dosa.

Ingredients:
Dried Chickpeas - 1/2 cup
(Soaked overnight in enough water)
Dried parsley - 1/4 tsp.
Chilli flakes - 1/4 tsp.
Roughly chopped onion - 1 small
Chickpea flour / besan - 2 heaped tbsp.
Salt to taste
Hot oil - 1/2 tsp.
Extra oil for roasting the dosas.

Method:
Drain the chickpeas and grind with onions and salt. Add all the other ingredients except extra oil and flour. If the batter feels a little two fluffy or loose add chickpea flour in small quantities and beat. Check the consistency and continue adding besan till it comes to a dosa batter consistency. it will look like this:



Heat a griddle. Test and pour a ladleful of batter in the center. Spread fast (Otherwise it sticks like a lump and does not move) with the back of the ladle to the outside.

Pour a tsp of oil on the rims and roast till it starts browning.
Flip and brown the other side.
Remove and serve immediately with mint chutney or tomato sauce.

It tastes more like a besan chilla with a twist, add a little bit of oregano, chopped chillies and coriander to turn it into a better chilla. But I certainly hope I make felafel next time!

I somehow hadn't sent these to Srivalli for her Dosa Mela and realised that only after being reminded, so here goes........this one is for you, Sri! I am eager to see the round up, after all dosa is a universal fave!!

Labels: , ,