Focaccia bread


I used to dream of a house filled with the heavenly smell of freshly baked bread from the time we were fed to large doses of Enid Blyton's books as children........and she remains my inspiration for all the baking I try out in my kitchen. I took up the daunting task of baking a foccacia after reading the one prepared by 'Happy home baking' and 'delicious days' and TADA - The result is here for all to see!!

Here's my combination recipe - Its more of '
Happy home baking's measurements and method as laid down by 'delicious days' except for minor alterations - I have just tweaked the recipe a little to suit my palate.....isn't that what cooking is all about??

Ingredients for herbed focaccia:

Refined flour (Maida) - 300g
Salt - 1 tsp.
Sugar - 1 tsp.
Active dried yeast - 1 tsp.
Garlic, finely chopped - 10 cloves
A mixture of these herbs - all dried and crushed - rosemary, oregano, basil leaves - 1 tsp. each
190~200ml water
Olive oil - 1 to 11/2 tbsp.

Topping:
1 tablespoon olive oil,
1/4 tsp. of red pepper flakes,
2 tsps. of kasuri methi (Dry fenugreek leaves),
1/2tsp. of dried and crushed oregano and basil leaves,
Lots of flax seeds, and
I could not resist adding a couple of cheese strips and thin slices of boiled potato (which I also removed and ate the moment the bread was out of the oven!) and generous sprinkling of coarse rock salt.

Method:

My children thought the bread smelt and looked exactly like the one that Pizzahut serves so they wanted a cheese dip topping. I made some white sauce with whole wheat flour and a little cheese and spread it over a slice as I have shown here:

The bread tasted nice crumbly and not too soft and smelt good too!! A childhood dream come true - My house did smell just like I had thought it would in my imagination - The mess I made in the kitchen only added to the beauty.

The stars came down for me that evening when my son told me that I was the best baking MOM!!


Labels: , , , , , , , ,